Hello my FOMOist blog
I haven’t done this in a while. But then again, I haven’t been upto much, or have I? You see, we’ve been quite busy with some big life changes.
A lot has changed in our lives since I last documented our “confession”.
- Mrs FOMOist and I relocated from London to Sunny Brisbane in October 2019. We tried doing it before and failed.
- We are now a proud and happy family unit of three, with a much awaited arrival of Little Miss FOMOist in December 2019.
- I started a job in November 2019 and lost it in April 2019.
- I apply for an average of five jobs a day with tailored applications, only to get radio silence.
- Mrs FOMOist will be taking one for the team, starting work next week, while I become a full-time DAD.
While I am super excited for my new role that involves spending unlimited time with the second cutest girl I know (Mrs FOMOist clings to her No. 1 spot – for now), I am finding this whole job search business a bit soul-crushing. It’s amazing how much one’s job/career defines one’s self worth.
When we moved to Brisbane, I accepted the job at an organisation that had some serious cultural issues. I was even warned by one of the recruiters against accepting the role. However, the optimist in me rationalised that decision by thinking “it’s a probation period for both me and the company”. Fast-forward six months, the toxic company culture got the better of me. I quit in the middle of a pandemic induced economic crisis, with no one willing to hire me.
It’s tough, not only for me, but for everyone who is in my position. I still haven’t admitted to anyone that I quit my job. in the middle of a pandemic. I just couldn’t take the personal attacks, including unnecessary comments about my family, anymore. It is the right thing to do, but since then I am starting to feel that the “right thing” is not always right.
I am proud of what I have achieved, I am thankful for my little family and I am going to keep trying with a smile on my face that mirrors on my daughter’s face when I look at her.
Thanks for reading :-).
UPDATE: Big Life changes continue
- I managed to find a job that I now love!
- Little Miss FOMOist is turning two in December
- We bought another house!